About the Book
Caroline Gibson is co-owner of Undiscovered Treasures, a shop of antiques, collectibles, and junk in rural West Virginia. Inside the shop is a music box that Caroline particularly relates to, believing that her own life is similar: forever spinning and never going anywhere.
She dreams and prays for the right man to turn up. But when family and friends hint that the local artist could be the guy, Caroline forgets about trusting God and takes matters into her own hands.
Besides, she could never love a man who paints such depressing pictures.
Andrew Carrington, painter of said depressing pictures, insists there’s always one redeeming trait to each of his works.
He’s loved Caroline since they were kids and thinks he’s not handsome enough, strong enough, or rich enough to impress this woman. But when God—or is it?—suddenly sends contracts begging for his signature, Andy thinks this just might be the way to win the only woman he can ever love.
But there’s a hitch in their plans. Someone is stealing Andy’s pictures, and why would they do that when he’s an unknown–so far? Do they know something Caroline and Andy don’t know? Is it mischief? Or something deeper that neither understand? Andy gets the chance to work with Caroline, and she must put aside her on-going battle to avoid Andy and his art so they can discover the art thief in Appleton before Andy loses the chance of a life time to ‘make it big.’
Why won't Andy ever take a hint from Caro that he's not her dream guy? Why does Caroline feel as though she's stuck and just not going anywhere? Why is someone interested in stealing a low profile artist's paintings? How long will Andy have to wait for Caro to accept his love for her? Suspense, a feel good read, and a touching romance all flow seamlessly throughout Undiscovered Treasures. And there are more treasures to be discovered from unexpected sources than first meet the eye at the beginning of the book. I have to say my favorite character was Andy because his devotion to Caroline withstood so much- her ridicule and anger, constant rejection, and yet, he saw all past that to see the wonderful person that she was. I have to admit I found some of myself in Caro as well too. I too gave my husband a hard time until we started dating- but he was patient and eventually I ended up finding out the treasure he was! I really identified with Caro in that she was clumsy and a little unsure of herself. Just a regular, ordinary girl that isn't high maintenance but does have dreams of the future to come. The story line was not only suspenseful, but endearing and heartwarming as well. The spiritual undertones of the books were a wonderful side to this story line. The character's learned the importance of God's timing, His will, and looking for His plan to come from unexpected sources. This book perfectly balanced a good solid story line of suspense and feel good with a sweet romance that was not overly emphasized, which I appreciated. I feel as though anyone could pick up this book and enjoy it- it's a cozy, endearing, high quality read that made me smile!
I received this book for free, and all opinions given are my own.
About the Author
Besides being an active participant of many writing groups, Carole enjoys mentoring beginning writers. She loves to weave suspense, tough topics, romance and whimsy into her books, and is always on the lookout for outstanding titles and catchy ideas. She and her husband reside in SE Ohio but have ministered and counseled nationally and internationally. Together, they enjoy their grandsons, traveling, gardening, good food, the simple life, and did she mention their grandsons?
Guest Post from Carole Brown
Fun Tidbits About Undiscovered Treasures (Book Three of the Appleton, WV Romantic Mystery series) By Carole Brown
- Why did I write this book? Several years ago, my agent urged me to write a romance novel for a certain publishing group. I did, and while I was at it, decided to write about three friends, all living in the made up town of Appleton, WV. Each had their own story, but the romance books didn’t go anywhere (because I’m not a “per se” romance writer. But when a current editor asked me for a new series, I thought about these three books and wondered if I could turn them into light mysteries. Ta da: the Appleton, WV series was born!
- How much of myself do I put into my books? Almost always little dabs of this and that. I love antiques and flea markets, cats, flowers (including Caroline’s favorite: daisies) and coffee. If I drink tea, I’m a Tea Snob (same as Caroline). I’m clumsy and fall over practically nothing (Caroline too!).
- What is your main characters like? In Undiscovered Treasures, Caroline Gibson, is a “home-town” girl. She doesn’t have a lot of confidence in her own looks, is clumsy, and sometimes quite outspoken. But she’s loyal, trustworthy, and soft-hearted, always watching out for the “underdog,” helps her brother run a successful business, writes plays, and oversees the local youth organization at her church.
- Andy Carrington, on the other hand, is quiet, but confident in his own abilities, friendly, a dedicated Christian, and an up-and-coming famous artist. He’s best friends with Caroline’s brother, and grew up with him and Caroline. Best of all, he’s loved Caroline forever and trusts God to direct his and her life.
- Where did I get the title for this book? When I plotted for the third friend (Caroline), I decided a junk/antique/collectibles store would be fun and unique. It also fit her personality. Having a brother and sister run the store worked well with the plot and giving them both a bit of wittiness added interest to the novel. I also thought this title played into the emotional love story part of the plot. Caroline, always dreaming of a real live prince for her life, doesn’t realize that she already has one. It’s only when she discovers Andy’s virtues that she finally clasps the truth: Andy is her treasure, chosen by God, just for her.
- Why a cat in the story? It played into Caroline’s personality very well. I can just see her volunteering at the local pet shelter. Angel, the cat, also was a ready (or not) listener when Caroline needed a sounding board.
- How does the music box play into the plot? It’s a constant reminder–and not a very welcome one–that her life is somewhat unsatisfactory. She thinks it’s because she doesn’t have a “prince” riding up to save her from a mundane existence, but really, it’s more like the proverbial ostrich inserting his head into the sand, and unwilling to accept the will of God for her life.
- Why have Caroline travel out of the U.S. when she’s such a homebody? Having her travel, which she isn’t totally fond of, forces her to climb out of her comfort zone. She knows what she has to do–make an apology–whether everything turns out the way she wants it to or not, and because she has to travel a distance, she has plenty of time to ruminate on her “follies.” Overall, a good disciplinarian action for her.
- Is there a spiritual thread? Yes. Accepting God’s will for our lives. We can’t make things happen the way we want, and if we force the issue, most times, it turns out to be an unsatisfactory situation. Caroline has to learn that, and once she does, she couldn’t be happier.
November 29: Book Reviews From an Avid Reader
November 30: autism mom
November 30: Carpe Diem
December 1: Quiet Quilter
December 2: Reviewing Novels Online
December 2: Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations
December 3: On Jenna’s Shelf
December 3: White Pine Cozy Mystery Page
December 4: Pause for Tales
December 5: Book Bites, Bee Stings, and Butterfly Kisses
December 6: bigreadersite
December 6: Through the Open Window
December 7: History, Mystery & Faith
December 8: Karen Sue Hadley
December 9: A Reader’s Brain
December 10: Moments Dipped in Ink
December 11: Blogging With Carol
December 12: A Baker’s Perspective
To celebrate their tour, Carole is giving away a themed basket including (but not limited to) 2 kitchen towels, 4 fun coasters, a travel journal w/ photo frames, a “happiness” picture, a recipe box and recipe cards, a fridge magnet, a magnetic phone list w/notepad, and a print copy of Undiscovered Treasures! Click the link below to enter. Be sure to comment on this blog post to claim nine extra entries in the giveaway! https://promosimple.com/ps/a934